Home » Two Repeat Offenders Face Up To Life in Prison After Convictions

Two Repeat Offenders Face Up To Life in Prison After Convictions

James Spikes Sr.
James Spikes Sr.

COVINGTON—A Washington Parish jury found James Spikes, 58, of Bogalusa, guilty Tuesday (August 25) of distribution of oxycodone during a 2013 undercover operation in his hometown. A separate jury found Shawnathan Fabre, 25, of Covington, guilty of possessing a firearm as a felon, a second offense possession of marijuana, and attempted aggravated assault with a firearm. As repeat offenders, both men face up to life in prison.

Spikes was arrested Jan. 28, 2013, after selling one Roxycontin pill for $30 to a confidential informant as part of the Washington Parish Drug Task Force operation. Spikes has 17 prior felony convictions and a pending first degree murder charge. Assistant District Attorney Nick Noriea tried him before Judge Martin E. Coady.

Spikes’ sentencing hearing is set for Sept. 2 at 9 a.m.

Fabre was arrested April 16, 2014, after threatening his girlfriend and her mother with a gun. When Covington police officers stopped him nearby and searched him, they discovered marijuana. Fabre has two prior convictions for second degree battery, and one for distribution of cocaine, and possession of marijuana. He also faces the following pending charges: simple criminal damage to property, unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling, and domestic abuse aggravated assault.

Assistant District Attorneys Blake Peters and Joseph Oubre prosecuted the case. Before trial, Fabre turned down a plea offer of 10 years and also rejected a later offer of 15 years. His sentencing is set for Sept. 22.

Earlier this week, Joshua Bruce, 29, of New Orleans, also pled guilty to his third offense for driving while intoxicated. He was driving northbound on the Causeway on April 12, 2015, when police observed him drifting in and out of the left lane. Bruce struck the left curb, and when a Causeway police officer stopped him at the first crossover, Bruce failed a field sobriety test, appeared drowsy and sweaty, and exhibited uncoordinated movements. He later told Causeway Police Department Corporal Mikel Melton that he took three Oxycodone pills a day.

Bruce was sentenced to five years in prison with four of those years suspended. He will spend one year in prison without the benefit of probation, parole or suspension. Upon the completion of his sentence, Bruce is required to enroll in and complete the Sobriety Court Program, pay a $2,000 fine, plus court costs and other special conditions.

Assistant District Attorney Jason Cuccia handled the case.