Please click here to view the 2017 Budget.
On Sunday, November 6th, District Attorney Warren Montgomery will be competing in the annual “Men Who Cook” event to raise money for the Children’s Advocacy Center, also known as Hope House. The CAC works with children who have been abused – to get them counseling and conduct interviews that are admissible in court so the young victims have a voice.
On November 6th from 4-7, at the upper level of the Justice Center parking garage, teams of “Men Who Cook” will be competing to see who can raise the most money for CAC.
On Warren’s team will be Shack Restaurant and Chefs Thomas Lopresti and Adam Foster.
Please help Warren in raising money for the kids by purchasing tickets for the event or by tipping (voting) for Warren and his team! Our goal is to raise $3,000 but would LOVE to raise even more.
Click on the below link to access our page or access via smart phone by texting MCW21 to 71777. You will be brought to Warren’s fundraising page where you can click and purchase a tip ticket.
This is a great cause (with great food and company) and we’re proud to be part of this year’s event.
COVINGTON — Jacob Eli Middleton, Jr., 20, abruptly pleaded guilty Friday (Oct. 28) to two counts of manslaughter for killing his half-sister and their father in Abita Springs early last year. Middleton was sentenced to a total of 70 years in prison—35 on each of the manslaughter charges, which are to be served consecutively. He will not be eligible for probation, parole, or suspension of sentence until after he serves the first 35 years.
The plea agreement brought an unexpected end to Middleton’s first-degree murder trial for the deaths of 2-year-old Makayla Middleton and her father, Jacob Middleton, Sr. The trial began Thursday, after three days of jury selection. But after sitting through nearly two days of emotional testimonies and evidence, family members of both victims and the defendant stated in court Friday that they support the terms of the plea agreement.
“These are difficult cases to resolve,” District Attorney Warren Montgomery said. “The victims are no longer here to speak for themselves, but their family members, who have endured unimaginable suffering, believe that this is the best resolution of this tragic case. In accordance with their wishes and in the interests of justice, I’ve agreed to this plea.”
Jacob Jr., who was 17 at the time, shot his father and half-sister each in the head as they lay sleeping on an air mattress last year between Jan. 3 and Jan. 5 in Jacob Middleton Sr.’s home on Carnation Street in Abita Springs. The father had planned to spend that Saturday afternoon watching a Saints playoff game with his children, followed the next day by pizza and games at Chuck E. Cheese’s. But those plans went awry, and Jacob Sr. did not show up at work or drop Makayla off at her mother’s home on the morning of Jan. 5. That prompted Kellie Bravo, Makayla’s mother, who lived in New Orleans, to drive with two friends to Jacob Sr.’s home, where they discovered the two bodies.
“I went through hell,” Bravo said in a statement just before Jacob Jr.’s sentencing. “I don’t feel bad for him. He knew exactly what he was doing…He was jealous of his little sister.”
Several members of Jacob Jr.’s family, including his grandmother, Mary Chavis, Jacob Sr.’s mother, said the young man had a difficult upbringing and was also a victim. But after accepting the plea, Ad Hoc Judge Bruce Bennett told Jacob Jr. that people should be accountable for their actions, no matter what age. “I have grave concern about who you are on the inside,” Bennett said.
Bennett said it was evident that the murders had ripped the family apart. Jacob Jr. had been given a second chance to better himself, even though he will be incarcerated, and that he “should feel obligated to make every effort to right the wrongs that have been done.”
Assistant District Attorneys William Macke and Elizabeth Authement prosecuted the case.
COVINGTON—A St. Tammany Parish grand jury has returned second-degree murder indictments against a 16-year-old boy in the March shooting death of his stepfather in Covington and a 35-year-old man accused of shooting to death his estranged girlfriend in Pearl River in July. The grand jury also indicted a 23-year-old Slidell man of first-degree rape while armed with a dangerous weapon and false impersonation of a peace officer.
Daniel T. Hamilton is charged with shooting his stepfather, James “Kenny” Hamilton, to death in the home they shared on Lenel Road in Covington. The case was recorded as the first homicide in St. Tammany Parish this year. St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s deputies were sent to the home on Monday, March 7, after James Hamilton did not report to work, and a relative went to the house and discovered the body. The older Hamilton had been shot six times in the head as he sat in a recliner.
“The decision to charge a 16-year-old with second-degree murder was a difficult one,” District Attorney Warren Montgomery said. “But the details of this gruesome crime merit the serious charge.”
The grand jury on Oct 6 also indicted Jonathan David Talley, of Bogalusa, who is charged with shooting to death Aimee E. Kirst, 33, in her home in Pearl River on July 1 and then fleeing in her car with their three-year-old son. In addition to second-degree murder, Talley is charged with second-degree kidnapping and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Kirst had gotten a protective order against Talley in June last year, and it was still active at the time of the shooting. The order gave Kirst temporary custody of the couple’s son and ordered Talley not to interfere.
The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office sent deputies to check on Kirst’s well-being on July 1, after Talley’s mother and stepfather reported to Mississippi authorities that Talley showed up at their home in Lucedale, Mississippi, and revealed to them that he had shot Kirst. Kirst was found dead, with a gunshot wound to her head.
Talley’s arraignment is set for Oct. 31.
In the third case, Dedrick Lyndell Coleman, 23, of Slidell, is charged with raping a 25-year-old woman on June 13, while impersonating a police officer. Investigators say Coleman called a prostitute from an advertisement and arranged to pay her $150, but after the woman arrived, he lied and told her he was a police officer and that she was under investigation.
Coleman showed the woman a pair of handcuffs. With a gun on a sofa a few feet away, Coleman told her that he would not arrest her if she thanked him. He then he grabbed her and forced her to perform sexual acts, according to the investigation.
Coleman’s arraignment is set for Oct. 24.
I appreciate the time, effort, and commitment the judge gave to this case. It was important to me that my obligations under the law to serve as the legal adviser to parish government be clarified by the court. My conscience is clear that I did the right thing in filing this lawsuit, based on our interpretation of the law and the vote of the people rejecting Proposition 5 in November of 2015. In the coming days, I will analyze the judge’s ruling and make the appropriate decisions.
Congratulations to the St. Tammany Parish school system, which collected more than $132,000 in money and gift cards and more than 55 pallets of school supplies (worth an estimated $200,000) to assist families and schoolchildren affected by the recent historic flooding throughout Louisiana. Superintendent W. L. “Trey” Folse, III, held a press conference Thursday to announce the results and thank the community, public agencies, community organizations, and businesses that helped to make this the school system’s most successful fundraiser ever. District Attorney Warren Montgomery, Parish President Pat Brister, and Capt. Daniel Seuzeneau of the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office were among those invited to join Folse in celebrating the news.
Click on the links below to see the motions for summary judgment, filed by District Attorney Warren Montgomery (the plaintiff) and jointly by St. Tammany Parish President Pat Brister and the Parish Council (the defendants), all asking the presiding judge to rule without a trial in Montgomery’s civil lawsuit against parish government over their legal representation.
Employees from District Attorney Warren Montgomery’s Office collected and sent cleaning supplies to help families whose homes were severely damaged in the recent floods. The donations were delivered to a donations center operated by the Louisiana District Attorneys Association. In the District Attorney’s Offices alone, 59 families lost virtually everything in the historic flooding. In Denham Springs, more than 90 percent of the homes have been destroyed.
Assistant District Attorney Casey Dieck (far right) spent Friday, volunteering at a storage facility operated by the Louisiana District Attorneys Association to collect donations for families who were devastated by the historic flooding. Ten Louisiana parishes were hit hard, and with the District Attorney’s Offices alone, 59 families lost virtually everything. In Denham Springs, more than 90 percent of the homes have been destroyed.